About Me

Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is noone alive who is youer than you.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Little bit of this, little bit of that (And my final time mentioning Junk Kouture)

The St. Patricks Day weekend has always been a busy one, and this year nothing changed. On Friday, my class took a trip to Deansgrange Graveyard for a history trip. I don't really know what to say about this - except that it was led by my Physics teacher, in the lashing rain, freezing cold, and was, let's be honest, just the teeniest bit boring. There was one umbrella, and 18 students, tanned and showered, ready to go out for Paddy's Day, you can imagine they were not very thrilled to be getting frizzy hair and a cold.
On Saturday morning I got up bright and early to head into town for the day. All the girls got ready in my friend Aoife's house, using an excessive amount of face paint, fake tattoos and green and orange hairspray. We were extremely festive to say the least. We walked around Dublin City Centre for a few hours, visiting the amusements and Merrion Park etc. Twas a nice day indeed.

And most importantly: Sunday. Once again I was up early to gather absolutely everything I could possibly need, from Celotape to Panadol to hairspray, for the Junk Kouture Eastern Regional Finals. I picked up Rachel and Maria and off we went to Blanchardstown for the show. The day was an amazing experience, and though I didn't make it through to the All-Ireland Final, I realised that there were so many people who were a lot more talented than I am in Fashion Design, and it's probably a good thing that I'm veering more towards Industrial Design!
20 teams were picked to go through out of the 78 Leinster finalists, and clearly almost every one of them deserved it. I did however, question the judges over a couple of them, and seeing all the other designs back stage, would definitely disagree with the results. For example in our dressing room, next to us were a team from Wexford with an amazing dress called Princess of China. We spent the whole day oo-ing and ah-ing at it, and it didn't get through. Obviously I am disappointed that I didn't get in but I'm really shocked that they didn't.

On the topic of Art and Design, I have confirmed that this Easter holiday, I am starting a portfolio for Industrial Design in NCAD. My friend, Rachel, who did the make up for the show yesterday, is also doing a portfolio for her Make-Up Design for Stage and Screen, so we're going to do a course together over the summer. I'm excited but I've realised -What the hell goes into that sort of portfolio? Not paintings or posters anyway I'll tell ya that much. My Guidance Counsellor will be getting a few visits from me over the next few weeks.

I'd also like to say a wee congratulations to my Daddy, who's in the process of writing his second book, about learning on YouTube, for getting an interest from an American publisher. He's running around the house like a 6 year old on Christmas eve (Before they've been slipped a sleeping pill - or is that just what my mother did?). Well done Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment